It’s natural to have many questions about breast surgery. Sacramento women often visit Kaufman & Davis Plastic Surgery with a long list in hand. In fact, our surgeons encourage you to do your research then request a consultation so you can discuss your own personal concerns.
Questions about results and safety of breast surgery in Sacramento top the list of considerations for many women. We invite you to view before and after photos of some of our patients. We also encourage you to browse the studies and articles below. When you come in to meet with Dr. Kaufman or Dr. Davis, he will take all the time you need to discuss the procedure you’re considering and help you make the decisions that are right for you.
Breast Augmentation Safety
With today’s modern surgical techniques, breast augmentation has become a very safe procedure with complications and risks increasingly rare. The two leading professional organizations for board certified plastic surgeons discuss the safety of breast enhancement surgery below:
- www.plasticsurgery.org – Breast Augmentation
- www.surgery.org – Breast Augmentation
- www.breastimplantsafety.org – Breast Augmentation, Is It Right for Me?
After fourteen years of study, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration declared silicone breast implants safe and effective in 2006. the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons have also issued findings on silicone safety.
To learn the views of a variety of researchers on silicone breast implants, check out some of the following studies:
- Breast Implants, Silicone: Safety and Efficacy
- Early Experience with an Anatomical Soft Cohesive Silicone Gel Prosthesis
- Cohesive Silicone Gel Breast Implants in Aesthetic and Reconstructive Breast Surgery
Quality of Life after Breast Augmentation
Independent research shows that many women report improved quality of life after breast augmentation. If you’re wondering whether surgery will be worthwhile, see some of the following research:
- Effect of Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty on Self-Esteem and Sexuality
- The Efficacy of Breast Augmentation
- Aesthetic Surgery and Quality of Life Before and Four Months Postoperatively
- Women’s Psychosocial Outcomes of Breast Augmentation with Silicone Gel-Filled Implants
Capsular contracture is a complication experienced by a small percent of women. Read more information from implant manufacturers Allergan and Mentor:
- USA Product Labeling and Safety Information
- Mentor MemoryGel™ Silicone Gel-Filled Breast Implants (PDF)
Independent studies of various aspects of capsular contracture can be found below:
- Surgical Intervention and Capsular Contracture After Breast Augmentation
- Relationship of Incision Choice to Capsular Contracture
- Capsular Contracture
- Textured Surface Breast Implants in the Prevention of Capsular Contracture
- Capsular Contracture in Subglandular Breast Augmentation
Quality of Life after Breast Reduction
Women report improvement in both physical and psychological quality of life after breast reduction; several independent studies agree. Not only will you find these interesting, they may assist you in working with your insurance company as well:
- Quality of Life after Breast Reduction
- The Improvement in Quality of Life after Breast Reduction
- A Prospective Study of Patients Undergoing Breast Reduction Surgery
- Reduction Mammaplasty Provides Long-Term Improvement in Health Status and Quality of Life
- The Effectiveness of Surgical and Nonsurgical Interventions
- Reduction Mammaplasty: A Significant Improvement at Any Size
Visit us soon in Folsom, just north of Sacramento off I-50. Or, if you’d like to talk to us before you come in, call (916) 983-9895.